Strode's Barn: an important building in an irreplaceable historic district
For 250 years, a single Quaker family built thriving businesses at this corner. The circa 1722 mill, across the street, ground corn, pressed cider, and turned trees into usable lumber.
As the family prospered they added this pork-processing barn. Pork may not sound romantic, but Strode's became nationally known for it's quality sausage and scrapple, produced with hogs grown on the surrounding farm.
The date stone says 1875, but the foundation suggests an earlier barn stood here long before. We look forward to uncovering the full history as we preserve the site.
The Strode's historic district includes a remarkably well-preserved collection of buildings. Unlike other important intersections in the area, it has retained its intimate character, with most of the original buildings still surrounding a rural crossroads. Restoring the barn will further stabilize the historic district and preserve this example of prosperous early industry for future generations.
120 acres and 11 buildings on the crossroads are registered with the National Register of Historic Districts as the Strode's Mill Historic District.
In time, the property will connect to West Chester borough with a pathway for bikes and pedestrians. It will preserve acres of open space. And it will become a treasured historic site on the Brandywine Battlefield trail.
The earliest building on the crossroads, this is also one of the earliest mills in America, used for grain, lumber, and cider over the years. The building now houses Strode's Mill Gallery and frame shop.
East elevation of the barn
The Boys' School
This was the well-known East Bradford School for Boys for more than 40 years in the early 1800s. It has become a private home.